Addressing work/life balance is important for everyone. In this article, I specifically want to speak to attorneys about it. Having a balanced work/life leads to higher productivity, better health, greater happiness, and positivity. I’ve talked and written a lot about the benefits of having a good work/life balance. I feel it is more important today to write about 6 indicators that warn that an attorney’s work/life is not in balance.
When I was working as an attorney, there were years I was so involved in the job that I ignored my health, my family, everything around me, and I ended up divorced and having significant health issues. If I had been listening and been aware of some of the indicators, I would have been able to take steps to alleviate the stress that triggered the health issues.
I am going to talk about 6 indicators that your work and life are not in balance. They are as follows:
- Not Sure About Your Goals Anymore – When was the last time you sat and thought about your goals? Everyone starts a career with one or more goals, but we all get so busy running after money, power, or prestige that we forget our goals. Due to the pressure and stress in an attorney’s world, it’s easy to get off-track from your goals or destination.
- No Time For Self-Care – When is the last time you went on a vacation or spent the entire day relaxing? If you can’t remember, then you need to look at your work schedule immediately. The most important person in your life should be you, and you need to make sure you take time for your self-care. Self-care does not necessarily mean only going to a gym; it means spending time with yourself and connecting with yourself.
- Every Moment All You Think About Is Work – Being focused on work is important and necessary, but becoming a workaholic is not healthy. I know from experience. And, if you are one of those who eat, drink, and sleep work, you need to take a look at yourself.
- Not Being Able To Sleep – Do you wake up feeling fresh or stressed, depressed, and tired? Peaceful and deep sleeping is essential for everyone. After having a hectic and tiring schedule, if you don’t have a good night’s sleep, it affects your mind and body.
- Not Happy With The Way Your Life Is Going – Are you someone who is getting success at work still you find yourself unhappy? Well, there is a saying, “You can’t truly be considered successful in your business life if your home life is in shambles.” by Zig Ziglar. If your other phases of life are not balanced, no matter how successful you are at work, you will not feel fulfilled.
- Addiction To Alcohol – Is alcohol part of your daily schedule? It may have started with drinks at business meetings. From there it was drinks with coworkers after work. Then, later it turns out to be a way of relaxing. However it starts, it’s time to look at your drinking habits if you’re drinking daily. This addiction will eventually impact your business, your family, and your health.
All 6 Of These Items Listed Are Indicative Of A Work-Life Imbalance. These items should not be ignored or taken lightly. If you are an attorney who has been feeling these feelings and going through these situations, I have written another blog on how you can unplug yourself in order to create and maintain a work/life balance. You can find it and my other blogs on my webpage at www.tanadaughtrey.com